Thursday, October 05, 2006

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

Bush to sign Internet Gambling Enforcement Act into law on Friday the 13thAn announcement relayed over on the Pocket Fives website now tells us Bush will be signing H.R. 4954 -- the so-called “Safe Ports Act” that contains as an amendment the Internet Gambling Enforcement Act -- into law on Friday, October 13th. Well, ain’t that killer?

In the meantime, I might well stick a few more funds back into Full Tilt Poker with which to reanimate my angry chicken avatar. I’ll stay with Stars for awhile, too. I suppose I’ll be letting the Party go on without me.

I’m a little bummed because I missed out on Party Poker’s September reload bonus that expired earlier this week. Having heard the news that Party would be cutting off us Americans, I decided not to take advantange by making a deposit (on 10/2), fearing the plug would be pulled before I would have been able to play the requisite number of hands. Now I see I could have made it. Sort of like laying down your club flush draw on the turn, then seeing that fifth club appear on the river after you’re out.

Even though neither Stars nor FTP have made their plans known, I still think at least Stars likely will be cutting us Yanks loose once the Act is signed. Less sure about FTP, but I ain’t too optimistic. I’ve seen some of these movies. For most of the cast, they usually don’t end well . . . .

Image: Friday the 13th - The Final Chapter (1984) (adapted), Amazon.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Swifty said...

As derbywhite says elsewhere it's difficult believe this is the beginning of the end.

Just the end of the beginning.

Batten down the hatches - there's too much money at stake for this to destroy online poker for good.

10/05/2006 1:30 PM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Just listened to this week's Ante Up! this afternoon. (What a great show that is.) Yes, the lawyer there (Lawrence Walters) was about as clear-headed a commentator as I've heard or read on the whole thing. I recommend that ep. to anyone reading this.

PokerStars has commented, though only to say they're waiting/seeing. Click here to see what Lee Jones has said.

I've gotten everything out except for the little I left over at Stars for now. To be honest, I'm a little antsy as I await the final transfer here to Neteller (and from Neteller to my bank). I'm reasonably certain all will be fine, though, as far as retrieving me winnings goes.

10/05/2006 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shamus, FTP have released a statement saying they are standing their ground and allowing US players. Can't post a link because the work's firewall blocks access!

10/06/2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Thanks for the news, pudding! Good to hear.

10/06/2006 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.