Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Six Hundy

Six HundyColleague and I were jokin’ around yesterday. Talking shop, mostly, but also interweaving the occasional, broader reflection on life, the universe, and everything.

Somewhere in there she was making a point about the difficulty of doing a job well, adding how what often ups the angst factor was the unavoidable impulse to be self-critical.

I nodded, thinking yes, it is exhausting. Always judging oneself, looking for ways to improve. Sure, apply it to poker, if you wanna.

To punctuate her point, she quoted Socrates’ one-liner with a shrug of acknowledgement: “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Might’ve even sighed a little, too.

I smiled, suddenly inspired. I had the perfect rejoinder.

“Actually, the unexamined life is... pretty cool.”

Or would be, anyway. Think about how easy it would be, to glide along without them existential doubts always gnawin’ at ya. Without even the hint of such worries. Yeah, I know. We’re talking about other people here. None of us can really manage that. Not really.

Six hundred posts. I mean, c’mon. That’s kind of overdoing the whole self-examination thing just a touch, wouldn’t you say? For which reason I think I’ll forgo the usual slice of centennial-inspired introspection, and instead just thank everybody for stopping by this here corner of the interweb every now and again.

As a token of my appreciation, allow me spare you a bit of self-examination. I’ve looked into it already, and so can tell you...

You guys are the nuts.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Peters said...

Don't forget the equally true inversion of Socrates's oft-quoted line: "The life not worth living is not worth examining." I often think of that when I hear of a new memoir by anyone under the age of 50. In poker terms, I think of it every time one of the podcasts has a guest who recently won one of the Sunday tournaments but who has next to nothing insightful to say about the game.

I'm being churlish, but congratulations on the 600-post milestone. Now get back to work and give us the dope on the latest UB scandal.

--Tim

9/30/2008 2:15 PM  
Blogger OhCaptain said...

Thanks for the praise. It's been a long, hard journey, but with drive and ambition, your faithful readers have succeeded in reading your introspection every step of the way. We thank you for the break...

(BTW - job well done sir)

9/30/2008 11:15 PM  
Blogger GWC said...

Congrats on the 600th post...it's been one hellavu ride!
See you at 1k!

10/01/2008 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts
Older Posts

Copyright © 2006-2021 Hard-Boiled Poker.
All Rights Reserved.